After we got settled in the hostel, we started to explore, and we saw so many amazing things!!!!! Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm going to be using lots of pictures to tell you about Berlin:
The Berlin TV tower. While the wall was up, Russia abolished churches in East Berlin, but whenever the sun hits this TV tower, it makes a giant cross, which could be seen from East Berlin
This was Poseidon's Fountain--probably the coolest fountain I've ever seen. Everything was so intricate and pretty--there was water coming out of everything: a crocodile, a snake, a turtle, different jars, etc. I guess I really enjoyed it because I used to read Greek Mythology all of the time, and I love all of those stories. I can't help it--every once in awhile my inner nerd leaks out.
Finned centaurs. You have to admit that is cool.
This church was left practically unscathed during the war because the gold and stuff on the steeple made it easy to see from the sky, and bombers used it to get their bearings.
The Rathaus. One cool thing about Berlin is that is has a Rathaus for city stuff, a Stadthaus because it is the capital of the state of Berlin, and another building because it is the capital of Germany.
The Stadthaus
Berlin is the only place in the world with street-crossing lights that look like this. They sold tons of "Ampel Manchen" paraphernalia in all of the tourist shops. Instead of buying the stuff, I took a picture.
The green Ampel Manchen
This church is really neat because you can see the different stages of reconstruction and stuff
This statue has a really cool story behind it: This guy (I think his name was Nikolas?) slayed a dragon and bathed in its blood because it was supposed to make him immortal. Unfortunately, he had a leech on his back and the blood didn't touch that one spot, leaving him with one weakness. Of course, he was later stabbed in the back and killed.
The Berlin Dom. One of my favorite things so far--I liked it even more than the Köln Dom
In front of the Dom
I really love this picture, because you can see the old and the new. I really think it represents Berlin.
The Brandenburg Tor
The back of the Tor
These double-bricked lines in the road represent where the wall used to stand.
The Holocaust Memorial. It was extremely moving, and it was especially cool because we arrived around dusk.
Inside the memorial
This is the hotel that Michael Jackson hung his baby out of
A little hole-in-the-wall jazz bar that was apparently having a tap-dancing night. Super cool.
This represents the four parts of divided Berlin.
This church was bombed during the war, and the steeple was never rebuilt. I think it is pretty cool.
That's right--we went to the largest erotic art museum in Europe because we are just that cool.
I made a new friend :-D
Checkpoint Charlie. It was really weird because we were in this really historic place, and it had so much meaning, but daily life was still moving all around it. The actual checkpoint was in the middle of the road, and people were driving on either side of it, living their daily lives. It was a little surreal.

East Side Gallery--the longest remaining stretch of the Wall
The back of the Wall
Wall Street. It has a whole other meaning here.
We found a little field with a ton of daffodils in the middle of the city. It was wonderful--we just sat there and talked for hours.

The coolest Porta-Potty ever :-D
Our last night in Berlin. It's called a B-52. Kahlua, Baileys, and Rum--on fire.
The bear in the Hauptbahnhof
Well, I hope you enjoyed your picture tour of Berlin--my new favorite city!
For more pictures, here is a link to my Facebook photo album of Berlin
Well, I hope you enjoyed your picture tour of Berlin--my new favorite city!
For more pictures, here is a link to my Facebook photo album of Berlin
Tschüss!
No comments:
Post a Comment